Settling In Nicely

Happy during recess (taken by another parent)
It is the middle of Term One Week four, and I finally believe that Lucas has settled into his new schedule. It has not been easy for us. Week 1 was full of frowns and tears as Lucas refused to let us go. I had mentioned this in an earlier post. He was unhappy with everything - Catholic High, Master Hand (his student care), going to my parents place (this was surprising considering he had been going to my parents' place for the last few years).

It was especially traumatic for my wife, who at some point in time was so shaken by the experience that she was thinking of part-time work. I was also thrown off my stride a bit. But I told myself that everything would be alright. Some of the little things we did help, I think.

Firstly, we arranged it so that I was the one who walked him in. He tended not to be so emotional around me. So I drove towards Bishan and just before we reached the drop-off point, I switched with my wife so that she drove, and I walked him in. The first day was not great - I was greatly embarrassed because he was crying quite loudly. One of his classmates remarked to me that he still cried. I told him coldly that it was none of his business. Subsequently, my son got better and better though he still cried at Master Hand. It was only yesterday (27 January) that he was smiling as he walked into the student care.

He is finally smiling - going up to Master Hand
Secondly, we stuck to our guns and kept reassuring him at home. We explained again and again that primary school was going to be a place where he was going to meet friends. We kept reminding him of his positive experiences (especially when I was walking him in). We kept encouraging him to talk to the people around him. Talking to the strangers beside him was a fierce struggle, but he is finally making friends, both in Catholic High and Master Hand. We also told him the rationale for sending him to Master Hand (so that when the homework eventually arrives, there is someone who can help him - we want to spend more time enjoying his company than nagging him to do work). I know the advice of roughing it out sounds typical, but it is still good advice to keep in mind even when your child is bawling.

Thirdly, we realised that some of his 'tantrums' were due to hunger. We now put a packet of Milo so that he can last till Master Hand (where he sometimes polishes two small bowls of rice). We also made him eat earlier in the evening for his dinner. I also disliked the idea of him eating late and going to sleep within an hour of his dinner. We found that after meal, he seems to settle down and be calmer. The phrase 'a hungry man is an angry man' fits him.

Now that he has settled down, we can breathe a sigh of relief. May he enjoy his honeymoon year in primary one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

Wither technology?

A once-off journal