Adjustment Blues

Today was the fourth day in school and the first day of following the time table. Today was also the day parents are not encouraged to be around. It was time for both of us to let go, or so we thought. We sent him to school, dropped him off and only picked him up at the end of school. It seemed to be fine at this point in time.

Actually we already had a spy. One of the parents was in the school canteen till recess and she provided us with some information - in Catholic High, parents are allowed to stay in the school, but only in the designated area in the canteen. She spotted my son wondering around during the first break (the school practices two additional ten minute breaks together with a 30 minute recess). She said that he looked like he was trying to look for us. He wondered around the canteen, and then the rest of the school. Of course, we were nowhere nearby. He did not look too upset and went back when the break ended. She even praised him for being independent! Little did she know.


During recess, his Primary Five buddy kindly helped him out again. He brought another burger (fourth burger in a row - I swear he has never eaten more then four burgers in his life prior to entering Primary One). I am not sure where he went after his meal - he probably did not have much time as the recess has been reduced from one hour to 30 minutes.

When we sent him to his student care, my wife told me that he was teary, but was probably going to be fine.

I finished work at 7.30pm and reached home. To my shock, he was crying inconsolably. In fact, it was so bad that it triggered an asthma attack. He had apparently been very upset ever since he left student care. He was not upset with the student care, but upset with being left alone during his time in school. My wife was also pretty upset with him being upset. Sigh.

He's asleep now, much earlier than before. I cannot remember the last time we had such a major change in our schedules. It was probably when we first sent him to Zee Schoolhouse and he cried and cried the first few days. He did not really settle down for a few months until he begun to make friends. I really hope he settles down soon and make friends. I told him that the friends he makes now will be with him for the rest of his life. Most of my good friends are friends I met in Catholic High. I talk to quite a few of them every so often and we do have each other's contacts either on FaceBook or What'sApp - thirty over years of friendship. I sincerely hope he finds his eternal friends soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

A once-off journal

Wither technology?