Climbing

Our tags


Today we went climbing.

What did you say? Yes, our son who has a history of planning issues is going to climb rock walls. I expected a disaster, but you know what, if we never try, we will never know.

It was also a Zee Juniors reunion. For some reason, the mothers of his kindergarten class got along very well. I think it has something to do with the fact that all of us banded together to fight against the tyranny of Zee's ridiculous spelling lists.

Needless to say, he was not very keen in the first place. I think he knows his limitations, but the moment he saw his former classmates, he was keen to go.

When I saw him climb, I was reminded of his rope ladder climbing during his days of Occupational Therapy, and also when he climbs bouncy castles. He had always struggled. I think it is a combination of his weak upper body strength, his weight and his coordination. Compared to the girls in his class, he was not fast. But I think he did very well in the sense that he tried to climb - though I was behind him trying to teach him which foothold to use and reminding him to push his body closer to the wall where he can use his legs instead of relying on his hand strength. He did put in the effort - you can see his exhaustion after each attempt.  However, at most, he only climbed a metre up. I guess as a parent, I knew that at this moment, this was his limit. Maybe he will have a chance to challenge his limit another time.

His first time climbing. I had to support him a bit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

A once-off journal

Jump! Jump!