Sensitive New Age Kid


Big Hero 6
Last week, we went to see Big Hero 6. We heard so much about it - watched the trailers and read the reviews. Lucas was also very keen to watch the movie. After I finished work, I brought him (he came to my office) to meet my wife at NEX to watch the movie.

It was very funny at first. My son laughed out very loudly at many points of the movie. He also enjoyed the fighting scenes. However, at the last part, when Baymax (the marshmallow robot) 'sacrificed' itself so as to save Hiro, my son got very upset. He remained very upset throughout the whole journey back home, despite our attempts to point out that Baymax's memory chip survived and Hiro was able to build another Baymax. He did not seemed convinced that robots and people are different.

Actually since young, he has been quite sensitive to loss, hurt and deaths in movies. When he was younger, whenever the television showed people in combat or in conflict, he will be very upset and demand that the television set be switched off. This was despite the fact that he was not watching, but just happened to be playing with his toys nearby. He even got upset watching Wipeout because the contestants fell into water when they bungled their attempt to cross the obstacle course. Of course, action or kung fu movies totally freaked him out. He would hide behind my in-laws sofa while the show is on.

Other signs of his sensitive nature can be seen in other incidents. A couple of months ago, nearing my wife's birthday, my son suddenly started crying and hugged my wife. He told her that he did not want her to grow old because if she grew old, she will die (I wonder who taught him about death and whether did he really understand the concept). We had to comfort him and tell him that his mother (and father) were not going to die anytime soon. Again he was not exactly convinced but soon got distracted by toys. In another incident, I was ill and vomited. He was very upset that I was not feeling well, despite it not being exactly a major illness.

I always wonder if it was a good thing that he is so sensitive - after all, he is a boy. Though it should not be the case, many people always think that boys should not cry. To me, it is good thing that he is in touch with his feelings, and that he shows his empathy to his loved ones. As a result, he is very good with interpersonal relations. Maybe this is due to his ability to connect emotionally? I will never know. But I do know that he always knows what to say to us and our parents. He always answers diplomatically whenever we ask him who he loves more (I know, it is an unfair question, but we always asks in jest). He is especially good at making my mum love him - he can be quite affectionate towards his grandmothers.

On the other hand, I am a bit worried about him entering Catholic High. There are bullies around. And they might target a sensitive boy. Fortunately, he is tall and well-built (some might say a bit round) for his age. From a glimpse during the primary one orientation, he is certainly the tallest or one of the taller boys in his primary one class. That should stop some bullying.

In the meantime, me and my wife are working to get him more 'thick skinned'. I do tease him until he gets a bit upset with me. To me, I take it as toughening him up. My wife has taught him strategies of answering back and defending himself verbally when he gets teased. Maybe I should teach him some of my very rusty Muay Thai as well?

Nevertheless, we hope that he goes to school happy and knows how to defend himself when people try to upset him. In life, there will always be bullies and sometimes the authorities do not have the time or even inclination to help. Hopefully, he will pass this hard lesson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

Spelling Again

Jump! Jump!