Primary One Orientation

Orientation Map of Catholic High
The previous Saturday, my son went to his Primary One orientation. I hope he really loves his future school. I really love his school - for one, it is also my school. I spent 11 years in Catholic High School. One year in Pre-Primary (during those times, MOE allowed schools to run their own kindergarten programme), six years in Primary and four years in Secondary. I hope he gets to spend 12 years there - six years in Primary and six years in the Integrated Programme. Of course, I have little control over whether he qualifies for the final six years, but I am going to try my best to prepare him so that he can qualify. Mind you, it is totally fine if he does not qualify. I am sure my father was happy enough that I made it Catholic High instead of Raffles (his alma mater).

We were soon separated after we arrived in the school hall. I was glad he did not show any anxiety after being made to sit with his future classmates. I also managed to catch up with some old schoolmates. Though I have to admit I recognised their faces, but cannot place their names. The performance was great (they showcased all their gold with distinction performances - how could they not put up a good show). He was then ushered to his classroom while the principal addressed us.

One of the first things he said to us was that we should allow our children to be children. We should not overburden them with tuition and enrichment classes. I totally agree with him. Now, I am not sure if he practises what he preaches, but I am glad he said this. I have been in too many schools where the principal was just too driven on academic results. Maybe because it is Catholic High, where parents are known to be more 'expectations'.

The second thing he talked about was collaboration with the school instead of complaining to MOE. Again, I agree with him. There are so many times I see parents make police reports, complain to the media and do sort of things, just to get their way. I was glad the current Minister for Education, Heng Swee Keat set the correct tone the last time some parent complained about a haircut before the PSLE in 2012.

Anyway, we filled in a whole bunch of forms and then we went to the classroom to pick him up. He had quite a few spoils of war. He said he won a finger skateboard and some biscuits from some quiz. Later, I looked at the map that was given to them and realised that he got the answers correct. A good start. I was also glad the school did not start by giving them a worksheet to test their level of English. Maybe the principal was really practising what he preached.

His prize for getting answers correct - a finger skateboard!

Later, when my wife asked him if he liked the school. He punched his fist in happiness and said "Yes, I like it cos' there is a Japanese stall in the canteen. Yay!!" As a friend said, "his priorities are right". I could not agree more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

Spelling Again

Jump! Jump!