I destroyed my son's Minecraft world!


The kids playing Xbox 360
The other day, I chanced upon my son's Minecraft game. He had this underground home that was unbelievable. It had doors, a library and other things that a house might have. I was very impressed. After all, he is only six. I never thought that a six year old would actually build a library. I know he has been watching Minecraft videos, but I did not realise that learns anything from these videos.

So today, I thought I wanted to take a look at his 'world'. He was swimming with his buddies (the children of my wife's friend) so I took the iPad and opened the game. I could not find his underground home, so I searched for it by entering a nearby hole. But I could not find it. Needless to say, I continued to poke around, hoping to find it. Eventually, I went deeper and deeper underground. And I got lost. And I fell into lava. Because it was set in creative mode, my avatar was not killed by lava. Instead I got stuck. Then I panicked.

I spend the next 10 minutes trying desperately to get out. So much so that I did not go to help my wife to take care of some business (she got angry with me). Needless to say, I failed getting out. I felt so guilty. Now, I am not the kind that gives in needlessly to my son, but I can imagine how I would feel if somebody comes and destroy whatever I was working on.

To cut the story short, my son finished swimming and I took the opportunity to help him take off his swimsuit (when it is wet, he has lots of difficulty taking it off). As he was showering, I told him what happened. He was actually okay. He smiled at me and said it was all right.

Then after showering, he ran off to join his buddies who were playing Minecraft on the Xbox. My wife says that boys tend to be more forgiving (I thought I was the one that told her that? You know, being a boy who once studied in an all-boys school for 11 years).

Lesson learnt. I don't ever play on his games without asking him to ask me how to. Looks like finally, there is something my son is better at than me.

My son's Minecraft game

A few days passed since I wrote this. He has new worlds. He has destroyed them, put lots of ladders on mountains, created a roller coaster and wrote on it. He even created a waterfall and subsequently started to push sheep over so that they can 'slide' down. I realised Minecraft was a virtual Lego game, but with much more props. I am going to get my own copy soon.

His water slide. He was sending sheep over the slide the other day.
He is looking at his roller coaster. Apparently the boys had fun on the roller coaster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

Wither technology?

Jump! Jump!