How not to be bored during a test

I thought hard about whether to include this in the blog - it is, after all, a negative reflection on my son. Do I want this memory to be recorded down for prosperity? After some thinking, I decided to include it, but I will not emphasise this entry in social media. If you are reading this, it means you are probably somebody who reads my blog quite often!

Last week was my son's Math Amodes (which stands for alternate mode of assessment). To me, an alternate mode of assessment is something non-traditional, like project work, presentation, scrapbook, etc. But in Catholic High, it is still a pen and paper test - not very alternative is it?. It is like calling Madonna an alternative singer. But, anyway.

My wife spent some time helping my son prepare for it. She went through the Math files and even got an assessment book so that he can have more practice. By the time he sat for the test, he was very ready for it.

As usual, I was waiting for him along the corridor when I saw him crying as he walked towards me. Since the ball incident happened just the day before, I though his ball went missing again. Before I could get anything out from him, a woman stopped us and identified herself as his Math teacher. She then informed me that despite being informed (thrice, she emphasised), my son took out his Math file during the test to take a look. At this point, my heart sank. She then emphasised how grave this situation was (I have been the chief examiner for both 'N' and 'O' levels, and I knew the repercussions clearly though I did not say anything). She then ended by saying that she noted that since he did not change anything but just checked answers, therefore, she was giving him a stern warning. Fortunately, it was just a stern warning and not an immediate failure (and barred from all examinations in 2015).

Later, my son told me that he had just wanted to check the answers and had no intention of cheating. He also reasoned that was unfair that we had remembered to bring the Math file. Some of his classmates did not bring the Math file, and thus, did not have the opportunity to cheat. Later, my wife told me that she nearly forget to put the Math file into the bag. She only put it in on the actual morning! What a perverted reasoning - though I have to admit it was somewhat logical, though incorrect.

There were two thoughts that went through my mind when the Math teacher was talking about this incident. One, she mentioned that according to examination protocol, this is construed as 'cheating'. That is true, except she forgot to include that according to examination protocol, bags are left outside the classroom, which is not clearly not the case. Two, the way she describe the incident, it was as if she noticed him taking out the file, did not do anything, waited till he was done with the incident and then checked if he had cheated. This is like a policeman, having noted that a crime might take place, allowed the crime to take place so that he can arrest the person.

Of course, evil thoughts raged through my mind. I thought of making it difficult by insisting on following the examination protocol strictly since she brought it up (it is quite troublesome to follow the protocol completely for normal tests). I also wanted to question her handling of it. If it were me, I would have stopped the student immediately and scolded the student even before he could 'cheat'. That way, I can punish him without making him get zero for his test. But I will ensure he remembers his punishment forever. I usually brand these students - just kidding. Anyway, it is quite difficult to create a fire hot enough to heat up metal in school.

I resisted such thoughts and decided instead to support her. I made him write an apology letter, which he did, even though he refused any help and wrote it himself. I thought it was quite a good apology letter though a bit self-centred (he kept writing about how he felt). I passed it to her, and she acknowledged it when I happened to bump into her the next day.

The reason I decided to support her is simple - I believe that we should support our children's teachers. Most of them want the same thing - the best for your child. Since we all have the same objectives, we should work together. While we might not always agree on the same strategy, if we support each other, then educating our children will be much easier.

I also want to say that I am very certain my son did not intend to cheat. And I think his Maths teacher could see that. It basically came down to this - he completed his test early. He felt bored. He was also very curious about his result. So, he decided to check the Math file. So this is the 'facepalm' moment. I hope he learns his lesson. The next time he cheats, he might get a facepalm - my palm on his face!

Edit: He got back his test paper. He scored full marks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

A once-off journal

Wither technology?