Minecraft again - I am a noob, my son is the master!

Minecraft on Xbox 360. My son is on the left and I am on the right. I am looking at his pet Iron Golem (he told me his name, but I cannot remember it now)

As mentioned, my son watches many Minecraft videos on YouTube. During this December holidays, we have given him more time to play games on the iPad and Xbox. He is going to start Primary One in one week's time so we have been closing one eye to his game playing time (though I do drag him to the bookshop, to swimming and test his spelling once in a while).

Nowadays, my son wants me to join him in his Minecraft games- both on the iPad and the Xbox. I have to admit that he is better at this game than him. He creates really amazing worlds in his games. I am really humbled when I see his creations. 

He has named himself '8469 tryert'. His first online screen name / user name.

I am looking at a trap he build. Unsuspecting villagers will walk and fall into the lava pit. He's a devious boy.

He has extensively terraformed the landscape. Notice the roller coaster in the centre and the staircase to a platform for him to skydive on the left.
I am surprised that he enjoys such open-ended games so much. He just likes to push the boundaries of the game, do actions that even the creator of the game did not envisage and see if it works. I think he can be a talented bug tester (of computer programmes - if there is a bug, he will find it!). He is unlike some other kids who just love to play action games. He really loves to build and create buildings (though he doesn't complete them all the time). 

But I would like to mention with glee that my wife sucks even more in playing Minecraft. I tried to get her involved and she played only 20 minutes (rather cluelessly, I might add) before she gave up.

Actually, when that happened, it reminded me of myself when I was young. I persuaded my parents to play games with me and they did not understand how to play the game as well! So, the cycle is complete?

I plan to teach him chess soon. At least I will have one game I will thrash him at.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

Wither technology?

Jump! Jump!