Kindergarten graduation and the end of a chapter

This month, my son finally completed his kindergarten education. Not that it is a big deal - after all, who really wants to know what kindergarten you studied when you were a little tot? But for a kid, it is a big deal. It is basically all they know!

Lucas in his graduation gown

Anyway, you can guess that kindergarten is almost over when there is a graduation ceremony. In kindergarten, when you complete it, you get to wear a graduation gown  and a mortarboard (actually, it is properly known as academic dress). When you finish primary and secondary school, you do not get anything! Even though you have achieved more! I hope I will get to see him in a graduation gown again. Maybe a few times. Maybe with a lot of colours and a Tudor bonnet instead of a mortarboard. My wishful thinking.

The final day of his school was last Friday. We are going on a holiday to Taiwan and after that, he is not going back to kindergarten. We hope to let him have a good two weeks of 'rest'. He was not too upset about it being the last day of school. The only thing he said was that he did not get to say goodbye to his Best Friend Forever (BFF), Rui Feng. This was because Rui Feng was bundled up the school bus and left very quickly. He also mentioned that he wished that he and Rui Feng would be 'together forever'. A bromance worthy of Frodo and Samwise?  They could have a chance of seeing each other again as there is apparently some gathering organised by the mums.

While I am happy he is growing up and moving on, I sort of miss his kindergarten days. During his time in his kindergarten, many things happened. Some of his good friends left, leaving him to find new ones. One of them, a Henrikson would always be memorable for us. Lucas treated him as a BFF, but when teachers ask Henrikson who was his best friend, he replied Naomi. It was not mutual. Fortunately, he and Rui Feng became close over the last year.

When I think of his kindergarten, I always think about the good pastoral care given. I always felt that he was in good hands. The teachers really cared about him. He made good friends. There was a gathering just last week in another parents' house and he enjoyed it a lot. Let me just journal down his classmates, before I forget. They are Rui Feng, Naomi, Siyi, Stephanie, Haoyi, Sheryl, Yongwen, Aidan and Syahear. Other than Rui Feng, he is probably closest to Naomi (they are the veterans of the school).

Lucas playing sparklers in his friend's house

On the other hand, I am not 100 percent satisfied with the academic teaching of the school. Maybe because I am a teacher and can find the gaps? I do not know. Definitely, I am going to intervene and teach some stuff I felt is lacking. Now you know why when I mentioned the holiday, I put 'rest' in quotation marks.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

Wither technology?

Jump! Jump!