There was a party and he was not invited!

Recently, Catholic High School sent a bunch of letters to some Primary One students inviting them to join Co-Curricular Activities (CCAs). Alas, my son was not invited. As a parent, I was in two minds on what to do. On one hand, I was disappointed that he was not 'talented' enough to be selected. Yet at the same time, I am not sure I want him to spend time on a CCA, especially when he basically needs to be chauffeured around. 

When I asked him about it on our drive back, he told me that he was upset that he was left out. He had heard about CCAs and wanted to join. It did not help that some of his classmates were offered to join various CCAs like Chinese Orchestra and Basketball in front of the whole class (a teacher came to distribute the letters). 

When I shared this news with my wife, she was also upset with the news. She felt that it was discriminatory and I agree with her. I know some people will say that we should not be overprotective, and it is true that life is full of trials and competitions and not everyone will be a winner, at no time were the children briefed that they will be considered for CCAs and at no time were they given the chance not to participate. And most importantly, they are only six or seven! At this age, they still do not have the maturity and cognitive ability to understand what is going through. We decided to talk to the HOD of PE and CCA to discuss this issue. My wife was very curious about the criteria of the trials (if any) and how my son did in the test for physical tests.

When I managed to get hold of the HOD, she seemed very apologetic. She explained that the trials were conducted on the first three days of orientation when the students visited the respective CCA rooms and a trainer or teacher was present to conduct a quick test. Subsequently, the PE teachers were the ones that assessed the boys' agility, hand-eye co-ordination and other physical skills. They then decided what CCA to invite the boys to. As I talked to her, I volunteered information that he started learning the violin. The HOD immediately volunteered to invite him to join the band. Actually, it was something I thought would happen. Based on the process of their talent selection, there would definitely some anger and resentment for the parents whose kids were not selected. The easy way out would be to offer a 'compensation' for parents who complain. That, however, is not the way to do things. And I told the HOD that.

Practising the violin at home


Anyway, I told her I probably have to reject her because of logistics issues. And most importantly, when I asked my son if he was interested in joining the band, he immediately said no. He said he wanted to join Softball.

So, we have checked out the options. We will soon let him join a softball class and closer to Primary Two, we might even let him get one-to-one lessons as the HOD told us that in Primary Two they would be doing another round of 'selection'. The things we do for our children.

I also spoke to his PE teacher who told me some of his weakness - basketball dribbling skills,  running technique and ball catching skills. Fortunately, these are skills I know. This June, I will have to train him.

Will my son be like these boys?
EDIT: The additional training is for him to enter Softball earlier in Primary Two, rather than be rejected for Primary Two and Three. The other training I mentioned, is simply to help him in his sports and fitness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

A once-off journal

Wither technology?