Real Learning

The last weekend was spent at F1 with my son. My wife had refused to come with us, so it was just the two of us. It was my son’s first live F1. Actually it was mine too. I never really fancied watching F1 live – firstly, I watched the Macau Grand Prix before and motorsports was never my thing and secondly, I always thought that F1 wasn’t that exciting.  It only turned exciting when there was a crash.  Nevertheless, my son was quite enthusiastic, so I brought the tickets.

Of course one of the objectives of bringing my son there was because of entertainment. He had always been fascinated with cars since young, despite the fact that his dad was not a car fanatic. So he was excited whenever he saw sporty cars on the road (he must be extremely disappointed that my car came original without any changes at all and looked like a typical sedan car).

But back in my mind, I wanted to expose him to different experiences – travelling, exhibitions etc. From my own experience as a teacher, students who are not exposed (seldom travel, always stay home, etc) do really struggle in English (unless they are exceptionally well-read). They can’t figure out inferences, cannot catch the references made in the reading and cannot understand the writer’s description of places.

So one of the things I learned as a teacher is that if you want your child to do well, sometimes it is not just enough to send him to tuition after tuition. Enrich his experience with real life. If you cannot afford it (let’s face it, I can’t afford to bring my family all over the world, I am just an ordinary working guy just like most of the rest of the world), get your children to read.

Let me end with some photos from the F1 grand prix. Enjoy.

My son posing in front of a fake podium

That's Hamilton

Fireworks at the end

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son is a Youtubber!

Wither technology?

Jump! Jump!